Digital Literacy for Kids
“If we teach today as we taught yesterday, we rob our children of tomorrow.”
- John Dewey
It’s no secret that all things digital drives the world we live in. Born with advanced technology at the tips of their fingers, children of the 21st century are perfectly positioned for strong engagement with technology – in a way that we, as parents, simply were not. Yet, learning how to properly interact with the digital world (digital literacy) remains deeply marginalized in K-12 education. Traditional curricula continue to make sure our kids learn about the human body, electricity, and history – but what about online safety? Digital citizenship? Coding?
Les Labs is the only school of its kind specifically designed (by parents!) for the modern child. It is our mission to make sure our kids have access to all the tools necessary to be part of the digital world. We go beyond teaching science and coding: our course helps prepare children to live in a digital world – and how to stay safe and smart. While engaging with technology can seem daunting to teach as a parent, we have worked hard to make it easy for your child to learn every major element of digital literacy – including coding. Through our hands-on, interactive sessions, kids will learn with the help of our innovative and passionate group of instructors how to think outside the box with technology. Most importantly, we keep things fun.
We’re parents, too. We know how important it is to create a safe and fun space for kids to learn, grow, and engage. At Les Labs, our top priority is contributing to the positive development of your child’s future. Even more so, it is our absolute mission to help along that spark of interest in technology in their minds; to make digital concepts a part of their new language set; and to allow them the fundamental tools to achieve their future dreams with technology. They’ll be building the next Facebook in no time – we’re sure of it.
Our course is designed to create a stimulating, interactive, and just plain positive environment for kids to explore their interest in technology. We keep things deeply collaborative: our instructors are hands-on technology experts who also come with strong experience in tech education for kids, making sure to create a space where children learn together with each other. Kids can use their inquisitive minds and high-energy to get ahead of the technology game by learning the building blocks of the digital world.
Children will learn the basics of engaging with the digital world in everything from online safety to basic software programming concepts to prepare them for an understanding of how people and computers interact with each other in the modern world.
What You Can Expect:
- To expose your kids to the online world and everything that comes with it.
- Interactive lessons on online safety, digital citizenship, cyberbullying, and much more.
- To learn the basics of how computers interact with robotics, software and basic programming.
- A bright, safe, and fun space for kids to experiment and engage with technology.
- Personalized guidance and one-on-one mentorship.
- Instructors who are world-class professionals in the field of educational technology for children.
- Classroom-style courses without rigid, theoretical and traditional curricula.
- Full access to instructors outside of course hours, endless resources for continued learning.
- Special talks by guest-speakers and mentors from the most exciting organizations in the city.
- Body-breaks to break up the sessions and keep the body as active as the mind.
- Healthy snacks (allergy-sensitive) and constant supervision by a dedicated team.
- To learn in a positive environment alongside a hyper-passionate group of people who truly understand early childhood education.
Module 1: Introduction to Technology
Kids will be exposed to different types of tech/digital products & services, and get to interact with them directly (virtual reality, robotics, etc.) – the perfect way to get a child’s feet wet with technology!
Module 2: Internet Safety
A fun & engaging look at concepts of Online Safety, Cyber-bullying, & Digital Citizenship and how they impact the way we engage with the digital world on a daily basis.
Module 3: Photo Editing & Animation
Kids can engage directly with learning about animation and digital graphics by building their own animations and manipulating images as they start to build stories through digital tools.
Module 4: Storyboards
Kids begin to build their own stories digitally, creating a key character that will be featured in their visual projects. They will build out their stories and learn to make an idea come to digital life.
Module 5: YouTube
Kids can engage directly with not only understanding the importance of YouTube and online videos in general (safety, security, etc.) but also get to build their own videos and learn to host them online!
Module 6: Coding
A formal (but fun!) exploration of coding and basic programming fundamentals. Kids will learn the basics of commands and loops, which will lead into an understanding of programming. They will begin to code entirely on their own!